Sunday, March 20, 2011

Awesome Lasagna

Wow it has been awhile since I have been on my blog. These last 2 weeks seem to have been so busy for me and now that I think about it I really couldn't tell you why, but I feel like I have been going non-stop.
Maybe it has something to do with all this crazy weather! It's been rainy, windy, and thunder stormy  (is that even a word?). Tree's are falling down all around us and last night it looked like all the tree leaves in the entire city were strewn all over our street.
So as I'm sitting here writing I am eating Oreo's with my son. He hands me an Oreo without the top because as he says he doesn't like the tops only the milk part with the bottoms. So I really need to figure out which is the top and which is the bottom.....otherwise we might be in trouble.

Now on the the real reason you are probably reading my blog......


I really need to take food photography classes. I promise this recipe is much better than it looks, of course Lasagna isn't the prettiest food.The ingredient list does seem daunting but it's actually a easy recipe but a little time consuming. I usually tend to make this when we have company or for a group and it gets rave reviews every time.

Here's the recipe....

Lasagna


Serves 12

Ingredients

• 1 Lb. sausage (spicy)

• 1 Lb. lean ground turkey

• 1 lg. minced onion

• ½ Lb. mushrooms thinly sliced

• 8 cloves garlic, crushed

• 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes

• 2 6 oz. cans tomato paste

• 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce

• 2 Tbl. white sugar

• 1 1/2 tsp. fresh chopped basil

• 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds

• 2 tsp. Italian seasoning

• 1 tsp. salt

• 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

• 4 Tbl. chopped fresh parsley

• 12 lasagna noodles

• 16 oz. ricotta cheese

• 1 egg

• 1/2 tsp. salt

• 3/4 Lb. mozzarella cheese shredded or sliced

• 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese



Directions

1. Cook sausage, ground turkey, onion, mushrooms, and garlic over medium heat until meat is fully cooked. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving

Adapted from: Allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment