Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day



What Earth Day really means to me.....

I will admit until about 5 years ago I did things here and there but wasn't as "Earth Conscious" as I could be. So I made some changes.

  • Composting- this is one of the biggest changes and I will admit one of the hardest. Since I usually cook almost every meal for my family of 4 composting was going to be important to reducing our trash. I have been composting consistently for almost 3 years now and it has been very fulfilling. I won't lie it isn't the most glamorous thing to do but is great for our environment. One thing about composting is you will have to find what works for you and your family. I went through 3 composting pails and buckets before settling on my current form. I didn't like having to wash the buckets, I'll just say it wasn't pretty. What I use now is the bags the loaf of bread comes in and produce bags that I had to put my produce in. This way I am reusing things that would generally just get thrown out. The only downfall is those can't go into the compost bin so we just empty it into the compost bin and throw the bag out. This works for me and my family but, they do make compostable bags so if you are willing or wanting to get those it would make it a little easier. All in all I have to say I love composting!

  • Reusing-  So I must say I have about one hundred reusable bags, ok not really but I'm sure it's closer to 40. Anyways I have a lot! I try really I do to always remember to bring my bags with me when shopping I hate when I forget them. Right now I have tons of plastic bags but I also reuse those I use them for my trash and the paper for my recycling. I don't buy plastic garbage bags. But all that aside I think the biggest thing I have done is purchase the reusable water bottles. I found some really cute ones and we take them everywhere. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a bottled water. Not only am I doing something for the Earth but also saving my family money at the same time! Now it is second nature for us to grab our water before leaving the house.

  • Reducing- One of the biggest way we have reduced is by buying less packaged foods and junk ( I know the good stuff). Also we only have one car, of course one car will not work for everyone. Since we live in the City and I stay at home we don't need two cars. I love to walk so I tend to walk to the store but, my biggest downfall is I get way more than I need. So I have been slowly cutting down and trying to use everything I buy. Sometimes I fail but I am determined to not waste food which in turn equals money.
I know there are many other things you can do celebrate Earth Day everyday! These are just a few of the things me and my family do, I would love to hear feedback about what you do to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.

For more information on Earth Day and things you can do go to http://www.earthday.org/

Happy Earth Day,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment